Let’s face it we all are trying to eat healthy, but when push comes to shove in pinch sometimes, because of our busy schedules, eating out may be our only option. But just because you’re sitting in a McDonalds it doesn’t mean you have to always go right for that Big Mac. There surprisingly are so many health conscious choices at almost every restaurant you plan on dining out at.
PANERA Lets start with Panera, one of my all time favorites. There are so many yummy classics so high in fat and sodium but some are very reasonable and won’t kill your diet. I usually stick with the pick two deal that Panera offers, it’s great, you get two smaller options from their HUGE menu selection.
1. Fuji Apple Chicken no cheese (220 calories)
Low-fat chicken noodle (80 calories)
2. Asian Sesame Chicken (240 calories)
Broccoli Cheddar (200 calories) -- the best thing you’ll ever taste even though it’s a little higher calories
3. Roasted Turkey & Avocado BLT on Sourdough Bread (250 calories)
Low-fat garden veggie w/ pesto (100 calories)
4. Full size Smoked Turkey Breast Panini (430 calories)
1. Full sized Mac and Cheese (980 calories tempting but not worth it)
2. Steak & Blue Cheese Chopped Salad (790 calories AND 1,280 mg of sodium!)
3. Full Size Italian Combo Sandwich (980 calories)
Wendy’s Food from Wendy’s may not be the healthiest option on the planet (in fact, I can guarantee it’s not), but there are surprisingly a lot of healthy options that won’t completely ruin your diet. So yes, you can have your cheeseburger and eat it too!
1. Jr. Cheeseburger Deluxe (300 calories)
2. Ultimate Chicken Grill (370 calories)
These two can be paired with any of Wendy’s “Smart Sides”:
- A small order of Chili (180 calories)
- Sour Cream and Chive Potato (320 calories)
- Value/Kids French Fries (220 calories)
- Apple Slices (40 calories)
1. Dave's Hot 'N Juicy 3/4 lb. Triple (1,090 calories)
2. The Baconator (830 calories)
LETS TALK FROSTY we call know Wendy’s is infamous for their delicious Frosty’s, unfortunately ice cream isn’t always the healthiest treat for us. But hey sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. A Junior Frosty is only about 190 calories so every now and then a Frosty doesn’t have to be completely off limits! J
Applebee’s Ohhhh Applebee’s, so many delicious choices, so many tempting entrees! I bet you didn’t know that like Panera, Applebee’s has a pick two menu! Take advantage of this!
2. Thai Shrimp Salad (390 calories with dressing!)
3. Classic Turkey Breast Sandwich (280 calories)
Strawberry avocado salad (240 calories)
1. Spinach and Artichoke Dip Appetizer (1,590 calories -- even to split that’s a lot!)
2. Grilled Shrimp N’ Spinach Salad (990 calories)
3. Quesadilla Burger (1,820 calories)
Muscle Maker Grill MMG is definitely hot at Rowan right now! Here’s the 411 on what to order and what to avoid!
1. Steamed Broccoli or a Baked Potato (24/142 calories)
2. Mardi Gras Cajun Grilled Chicken Salad (447 calories)
1. Turkey Meatballs (325 calories -- a lot for just a little side dish!)
2. WRAPS I found that pretty much all the wraps on the menu were high in calories, filled with fat, saturated fat, and high amounts of sodium – try to avoid!
3. Vegetarian Italiano Salad – don’t let the name fool you just because there’s no meat doesn’t mean there’s not loads of excess sodium in this salad! (213 calories BUT 1030 mg of sodium)
Here’s the deal with Muscle Maker: In my opinion a lot of the items on the menu are high in calories, sodium and fat. Your best bet when trying to eat healthy? Pair a few sides together. Go for the Grilled Chicken Breast side, Steamed Broccoli, and a Baked Potato, only 447 calories, 9 grams of fat, and 182 grams of sodium.
RUrec’n? We are.
- Erica M