I love to cook! One of my specialties (I think) are stuffed peppers. One day while browsing my cabinets and realized I had a ton of quinoa that I never use. I started looking at recipes online and I came across this awesome one from hungryhappens.com. Ground turkey quinoa stuffed peppers! SOOOO so soon good!! I'm in a good mood today so I decided I'll share my secret recipe with you guys!
- 1.5 cups COOKED quinoa
- 4 large bell peppers, sliced in half, lengthwise, seeds removed (any color!)
- 1 tsp olive oil (+ more later)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey meat
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- sea salt to taste
- 2.5 tbs tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- bread crumb (optional... I don't use them though!)
- shredded mexi blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a large skillet, heat the 1 tsp olive oil on medium high. Add to it the garlic, celery and onion sautee for a few minutes.
- Next, add the the turkey and season with the garlic powder, cumin and salt. Using a wooden spoon, break up the meat and keep stirring until no longer pink, cooked through and completely minced - about 5-7 minutes.
- Then, stir in the tomato, 1/2 cup of chicken broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 more minutes. Lastly, add the quinoa and combine all together.
- Drizzle your baking dish with olive oil. Then pour the remainder of the chicken broth into the dish.
- Fill each pepper halve with the meat mixture and place in your baking dish. Sprinkle each pepper top liberally with bread crumb (if desired).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese and place back in oven on broil, for 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
Here's another secret too! I love when my stuffed peppers are extra soft. So before adding the turkey-quinoa mixture to the peppers and baking them put your peppers in the oven alone and bake them for an extra 15 minutes!
**Also a side of sweet potato fries goes great with these peppers!!!**